Sunday, October 19, 2008

good talk

We got our flag from my uncle's casket. I've been in 48 of the state capitol buildings, I haven't been in Alaska's or Kentucky's, I've never been to Alaska and when I was in Frankfort I couldn't get a taxi in a timely manner. In a lot of the states the state capitol building is the most grand building in the state. My favorite is West Virginia's, it's easily the most impressive of the small states and far better than neighboring Ohio's where I'm from and the 7th largest state.. Completed in 1932 at a cost of $10,000,000, a huge amount of money at that time, they pronounce it as "One of the Most Impressive Examples of Italian Renaissance Architecture in the World." And West Virginia has the best state motto, "Montani Semper Liberi"---Mountaineers Stay Free. In Akron much of the population came from West Virginia, people who had come up to work in the thriving rubber factories and these were often ridiculed as "dumb Hillbillies." During the Vietnam War when everybody and their brother were unwillingly being drafted in West Virginia, where patriotism ran high, many of the counties had no draft as there were so many enlistments. Probably these people were better than we had thought.

No comments: