Tuesday, June 2, 2009

good talk

In 1667 New Amsterdam, present day New York City, was traded by the Dutch to the English for Suriname, yes it's true. From Paramaribo I went overland to Albina to cross the River into French Guiana. Albina was almost leveled in the Maroon Uprising of the 1980's but has made a comeback and I ate a nice lunch there. Many of the Africans didn't Cotton to Slavery and many ran away, in the Caribbean and South America they were often called Maroons. That term today refers to their descendents. In the 1800's the Dutch made several treaties with the Maroons, usually on the Maroons' Terms to avoid them Raiding the Plantations and Such. I crossed the River into French Guiana and waited 4 Hours for a Van to fill up for the two and a half hour Drive to Cayenne. I arrived in Cayenne on a Saturday Night and the Place was Alive with Streetwalkers and other Festivities. French Guiana is just a part of France and has the Euro, in Guyana they use the Guyanes Dollar and in Suriname they use the Surinamese Dollar. Guyana was my 101st Country in my Life and Suriname was my 102nd. Ya get into a Rut, at least I have, I Remember 30 Years ago back in Ohio Remarking to Somebody that I don't like to Travel. Cayenne, the Capitol, was pretty well Shut Down the next day, Sunday, but I enjoyed Walking Around, I walked a few Miles. Monday I saw their very good Museum and was in their Cathedral, I wanted to go to Brazil but their Consulate only would give a Visa to Residents of French Guiana. Then on to Kourou about 40 Miles Away. I was Reading the Current "Sports Illustrated" about the Perfect 12 Innings that Harvey Haddix pitched for the Pirates against the Braves in 1959 only to lose in the 13th, there's a picture of him on Page 64 and that is Some Form. Unfortunately I read Today about Kenneth Kahn, "66," a very Prominent Lawyer falling to his Death from the Mountain at the Machu Picchu. He defended Andrew Dalton Lee whose story was in "The Falcon and Snowman," a very good movie from 1985 with Sean Penn whose Acting Ability is so good that when he played the Hopped-Up Jewish Lawyer in "Carlito's Way" I didn't know that was Sean Penn until Years Later (You Guys knew it, You're Sharper Than Me) and he also defended Larry Flynt. I Climbed the Same Mountain 2 Years ago and I think I Commented in my Blog that a Misstep could lead to being Killed or Maimed. He was too Old to be doing this.

No comments: