Wednesday, September 16, 2015

good talk

From Istanbul I flew to Athens, I've been to Athens more times than you've had hot meals, as it's one of the world's best destinations.  I've been all-over Greece and 6 islands, and it's all wonderful, Greece is the cheapest Euro country and was this way under the Drachma (the last time I was in S. Carolina I saw a string of gas-stations called El Cheapo).  I climbed the Acropolis to the Erechtheion, dedicated to Athena and Poseidon, and to its right, the Parthenon, dedicated to Athena, all this built during the Age of Pericles, 450 to 429 B.C., and regarded as perfect.  Since, the Parthenon has been a Catholic Church, a Mosque, a storage for gunpowder, in 1687 it blew-up part of the Parthenon, and the British Ambassador, Lord Elgin, wisely and heroically sawed-off many of its sculptures and took them back to London, to be seen at the British.  To the Theatre of Dionysus, to the Temple of Zeus, to the Ancient and Roman Agora, to the ancient cemetery, Kerameikos.  The Acropolis Museum is relatively-new, housing in a pleasing manner many of the beautiful artifacts of that edifice.  The National Archaeological Museum used to often be closed due to the Greeks' sloth, but was open 2 years before and now.  I was in Athens 2 weeks before it began to implode and I withdrew 400 Euros from an ATM at the airport which wouldn't have been possible a little later               

No comments: