Tuesday, May 26, 2009

good talk

I ate Watermelon on Memorial Day as always but for the past several years all one can get is Seedless and to me eating Watermelon and Spittin' Seeds goes hand in hand. A lot of this Show of Patriotism since 9-11 is New-Found, it wasn't in Evidence before that. On March 11 I flew Las Vegas to Miami to Port of Spain, Trinidad, my 100th Country. Trinidad and Tobago is a country of 1.3 Million with a Beautiful, New Airport, the most developed of the Caribbean Countries. It's total area is say, 45 x 45 Miles and about all of that is Trinidad with little Tobago 60 Miles Away. Formerly British, they speak English, Mon, and the People are Mostly Black with a sizeable India Minority. By reputation it's a rough place full of Criminals, maybe recently but not now, just take normal precautions, I found the People to be All Right. Their Stadium is named Ato Boldon after their great Olympic Sprinter. Walking around in Port of Spain was a lot of fun. I was walking down the street and a Passerby said "England," the Sun Never Sets on the British Empire as is evidenced by Myself. One of Queen Victoria's titles was "Empress of India," even though she had never been there. I went to a beach 15 miles outside of town to swim but I noticed a chemical plant, Alcoa, Bauxite, in the near Distance. I Commented to White People getting out of the Water, I hope that you don't grow another leg. I didn't swim. I went up and down the length of Trinidad on both sides on the City Bus. I went to their 2nd City, San Fernando, and looked around, quite nice. I went to "Pitch Lake" where the Entirety of the World's Asphalt comes from. Just South of San Fernando, it's only 95 Acres and maybe 300 feet deep. It used to be much bigger but there's still supposed to be enough Pitch for the Next 400 years. I toured it with 4 other People and our guide was "Lindsay," who has done this almost all his life. A 45 Minute Tour where Lindsay walked us across the Lake knowing the firm parts where we won't sink in. There's healthful water on the Lake and people were splashing it on themselves. Lindsay looked much younger than his 58 years. There's a few other places where Pitch can be found but their's is Inferior, this is where the World's Asphalt comes from and Port of Spain was the first City in the World to have Paved Streets (1810). I took the Ferry to Scarborough, Tobago, 3 Hours away and thought it to be as beautiful as Trinidad (the English had governed Trinidad and Tobago as a Single Entity and so it has Continued).

No comments: