Tuesday, May 17, 2011

good talk

I came back a week and a half ago from a 7-week bus trip, I recently recovered as by the time I got back I was on the verge of a physical breakdown due to the hectic pace. I bought a 60ba-day Greyhound "Discovery Pass" for $539 and it was good on all the other buslines, about 15, in the U.S. and Cananda. I hadn't done this for 8 years and was dubious as the buslines have cut the number of buses by about twothirds since then but it turned out real great. I was at 6 major-league baseball games around the country in 6 stadiums that I had never seen a game in, I was in 5 Presidential Libraries 4 of which I hadn't been to so now I've been in all 12 of the Presidential Libraries, most of you TV bumpkins have never been to one but you walk around with your chests stuck out. A teacher of mine once said, isn't it suprising how often ignorance takes a pride in itself. I was at 2 musicals on Broadway and the International Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass. and much more. I was expecting the Akron Goodyear Wingfoots to be prominently displayed and they were and for the years that my father played for them. A team that my Old Man played for in the International Basketball Hall of Fame. Also in there were the Harlem Renaissance (the Rens), didn't these 2 have a dust-up. At 5 A.M. on Easter Sunday I came in on Peter Pan to the Peace Bridge to cross into Canada, that is April 24, 2011. I've been all over Canada from Vancouver to Halifax and about everywhere in between and thought it was ok but nothing too great. I hadn't been to Canada in 8 years and thought I'd go to Toronto for a day or 2. I had my U.S. Passport and showed it to the Candadian Agent, #15380, some girl, and she asked me if I planned on living in Canada illegally. Why no, I just want to go to Toronto for a day or 2. She turned me over to Agent #14091, a superior who seemed very sleep-deprived as though he hadn't been to bed for at least 2 days, and he took me into an office where he concluded both verbally and in writing.....He has no ties to the U.S. (I was born an American Citizen). This guy fingered my Mastercard and 2 Debit Cards as well as $1800 in American Express Travelers Checks, he then left the office and I cracked the door open a couple feet as it was stuffy and this guy came running back in angrily saying that I was being watched on camera. This guy called a taxi service who sent a cabbie to whom this Canadian Agent gave my U.S. Passport and a paper to be given to the American Border Agents about a half mile away (entrusting somebody's passport to some taxidriver was novel to me). This taxidriver dropped me off at the American Border Agents Office where I was rudely received. I was told (this was about 6 A.M. on April 24)......This isn't a bus station......I was told to leave quickly and was urged to walk miles in the dark back to Buffalo carrying a heavy bag, I was told that it was "quite safe." The alternative I was told was to take a taxi which they would summon and this sounded better. Had the Americans let me take one of the buses that were stopping at their station I wouldn't have had to pay 24.80 for the taxi. What it is is that the Public Employees look down on the Public regarding as a cow to be milked and suckers for allowing themselves to be treated that way, the Canadian Border Officers were mentally unstable but the American Border Officers were just no good.

No comments: