Tuesday, May 24, 2011

good talk

As late as 1964 the U.S. Olympic Basketball Team had 4 Goodyear Wingfoots, a third of the team, one of those was Larry Brown, yes that......When I was a child I took piano lessons for 4 or 5 years, I'm very well-bred. From Phoenix I went to Santa Fe, New Mexico, a very good tourist city. I went into both houses of legislature in the Capitol Building and also the Governor's Office, I asked that the Governor come out and greet me but was told that she was busy. Santa Fe is full of interesting museums such as the "Georgia O'Keeffe," which displays over a hundred of her works (lived in Santa Fe for the last part of her long life). The Palace of the Governors is the oldest public building in the U.S. and is now a museum, there's the Museum of International Folk Art which consists of over 10 thousand handmade dolls and toys, toy houses, the Museum of American Indian Arts and Culture and the American Indian Arts Museum. Santa Fe has the "Loretto Chapel" with its spiral staircase and was the first Gothic Building west of the Mississippi. The Mission of San Miguel is one of the oldest churches in the country and has the oldest bell in the country. Santa Fe is up 6500 to 7000 feet and you can feel the altitude (not as bad as La Paz, Bolivia where I've been whose airport is at 13 thousand feet). When I was in Kansas City, Mo., I counseled amongst the local Negroes and inquired whether Arthur Bryant's truly had the best barbecue in the country. I was told by many that Gates and Sons was as good or maybe even better, so of course I went to both. So which did I prefer, "Chef Edwards Barbecue" in Oakland is easily the best. Chef Edwards is a real kindly older man who enjoys making people happy with his delicious 'cue and he and his helpers prepare the most delicious openfaced sandwich which has a prodigious amount of barbecued pork, this is true culinary heaven, ate there twice wish I was eating there now, maybe Barry would like to stop in as his picture is on the wall.

No comments: