Tuesday, June 28, 2011

(

There's a thriving operation in Ramona "Hire-a-Goat" which will send a crew of goats to clear your brush. Saturday was my 64th Birthday and I took my friend, Scott the oddsmaker, to Petco (better to give than receive). I got the best seats in the park one hour before the game but my druthers would have been on the dirt behind first. It was a huge crowd as Jair Jurgens who led the National League in ERA and was tied for first in Wins was pitching for Atlanta, Jurgens improved on both. Dan Uggla hit one about 450 feet especially hard to do as Scott who handicaps baseball said that the sea air at night slows the ball. Afterwards we went to one of the many real nice places in the nearby Gaslamp, I don't drink much but was glad to get out of there without leaving my wallet on the bar. I mentioned Scott before, he's "40" and all-around real good and I could tell that you women weren't very interested in him, that's showing disrespect for me saying that what I say is good is not. This Casey Anthony murder case has the TV Media off the charts. I don't know if she did it or not, people die all the time, so what. Andrea Yates did all 5 of hers and didn't receive such coverage (the oldest was "7" so maybe they drove her nuts). You TV Media are truly weak-minded and there is no hope. In Houston I went to the eclectic and very fine Menil Collection which has an entire building devoted to Cy Twombly. Edwin Twombly is a "83" and created his paintings from anything you might find in your garage, plaster, housepaint, glue, anything. Edwin Twombly was nicknamed Cy by his dad, Edwin Sr., who pitched for the White Sox, I find his art quite compelling but not really my thing, many appreciate it and the best of his fetch a few mil. Near the Menil is the Rothko Chapel which stuns many with its understated. I went to the Bush the Elder Presidential Library at Texas A&M in College Station, the most elaborate of all 12 although he was only a one-termer, it was quite impressive. Carter's doesn't amount to a hill of beans just like his presidency (when he heard that brother Billy had registered as a lobbyist for Libya that was the only time that anyone heard Jimmy take the Lord's Name in vain), he seemed like a nice guy but as one wit put it Nice Guys Don't Make the World Go Round. A&M is really a nice campus and their claim is that they're #1 in the Country for the amount spent to go there compared to Alumni's Lifetime Earnings, that's really good if true. I went inside their football stadium and basketball arena and just happened to walk in while the Texas A&M Women's Team was having their final practice before the NCAA Final 4, strangely I was the only one watching. It was a controlled halfcourt scrimmage with 2 boys on either side, Coach Gary Blair said we can't match Stanford's athleticism so for us to win we're going to have to do things right (they went on to beat Stanford and then Notre Dame for the NCAA National Championship). At the end of practice I came out of the stands and spoke to them for 15 minutes telling them you can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes you just might find you can get what you need, some shrugged and exchanged glances, I'd like to think that I had something to do with their championship season.

No comments: