Thursday, June 9, 2011

good talk

Having you people waiting for my offering like begging dogs makes me feel real important. In 2000 Joe Mauer was USA Today's Offensive Player of t he Year as a high school quarterback in St. Paul and in the Spring was USA Today's Baseball Player of the Year for 2001, a rare double. The 1st Player taken in the 2001 Baseball Draft by the Twins Joe has enjoyed a very good career as a catcher and hitter. Prior to the 2011 Season Joe Mauer signed a contract with the Twins for 8 years at $184 million that is $23 mil a year but has been on the Disabled List for most of the 2011 Season due to weak legs. The contract is guaranteed, the Twins are on the hook for that amount whether Mauer is hurt or not, catcher is a very demanding position and once the human body is torn down .....All the King's Horses and All the King's Men......I went from Santa Fe to Albuquerque, New Mexico where I stayed on Central Ave. which is the old Route 66. I went to the U. of New Mexico and went inside "the Pit" which is their basketball arena, it has a sunken floor. I also went inside their football stadium, it doesn't amount to much and used to be worse, 20 years ago it would only seat 20 thou. I then went to Isotopes Stadium where their AAA Baseball plays, a nice park. I went to the history museum, the natural history museum and their art museum, all were very enjoyable. As always when I'm in Albuquerque I went to the Rattlesnake Museum which boasts more species of venomous snakes than any museum in the world. I'm not much into snakes but think they're OK and it's very interesting. I saw a medium-sized rattler swallow for his weekly dinner a dead mouse, seemed to take 20 minutes, I watched at the beginning and at the end of this meal. As long as the mouse is fresh they'll eat it, the mice are killed humanely and frozen. Watching doesn't turn your stomach or anything. On May 5 I saw my Cleveland Indians play the Oakland Athletics at the Oakland Coliseum with the Indians prevailing 4-3 in 12 innings. A beautiful day I could have watched 20 innings even though I had been up for 3 days. Pitching for the A's was Brett Anderson a left-hander and Brett pitched a very good 9 innings, he didn't get the W but also didn't get the L. When I go to a ballgame I always get a program, don't feel like I'm there without one and there were 20 questions relating to preferences and likes that were asked of Brett Anderson. One was which of your teammates would you give your blessing to for dating your sister, Nobody.

No comments: