Tuesday, November 22, 2016

good talk

I've gotten a boatload of hits, today, I'm flattered all to hell.  I went downtown, on Grand, to the year-old, Eli and Edythe Broad Museum, in a magnificent building, with 2000 postwar contemporary-artworks in its collection.  The big-thing is the "87" year-old, Japanese, lady's, Yayoi Kusama's, "Infinity Mirrored Room", of dazzling and experiential-lights.  Only one allowed at a time, they shut the door, and you're allowed 45 seconds in there.  I'm sure I'm not the only-one who's stepped in the water, hadn't read it was there.  Being at the Broad Museum was a fab-happening.  And I went across the street to the Museum of Contemporary Art, and it was quite-good.  Went to the nearby, Los Angeles Central Public Library, just full of the homeless, I stepped into a restroom and quickly stepped-out, for fear I'd get whacked over the back-of-my-head.  All 3 of these I was at for the first-time.  The next day, I went to the Huntington Library and Museum in San Marino, bordering Pasadena.  They have fabulous first-editions of rare books from 1000 to 2000 A.D., you can see the earliest-edition of Chaucer's "The Canterbury Tales", their complete Gutenberg bible, one of only 12 on vellum, and the most expensive-book in the world, when Henry Edwards Huntington bought-it in 1900 for 50 thou (railroad-tycoon, uninterested in wine, women, and song, just culture). The books you see there are mind-boggling.  They no-longer show the rough-draft of Charles Bukowski's "Ham on Rye" (See My Blog for Feb. 9, 2009, Nov. 21, 2010, Nov. 29, 2013), but do show the hand-written drafts for Jack London's "The Sea-Wolf" and "White Fang".  The great-art is mostly English, Gainsborough, Romney, others, the 1700 and 1800's.  There's beautiful-gardens, and a feature-added since my last visit, oh, 6 years-ago, is the "Orbit Pavilion" in which you can hear 24-Hours of sound from passing overhead-satellites. say, "Calipso", concentrated into one-minute--it's eerie.  One of my favorite-paintings anywhere, is Thomas Lawrence's "Pinkie", 1794.  Sarah Barrett Moulton was born in Jamaica, raised by wealthy grandparents, she was sent to England to further her education.  Her doting-grandmother instructed that Sarah's full-length painting should be produced by a master (her darling, Pinkey), beautiful, whimsical, carefree girl.  Sarah died the next year, she was "12"                        

No comments: