Wednesday, November 5, 2008

good talk

I think it might be all these drugs that have been going around this country for the past 40 years. Yes, I see that the Drug Scene has taken its toll. In the wake of the Goldwater disaster in 1964, Ray Bliss, the Republican National Chairman from 1965 to 1969 was greatly lauded by all for rebuilding the Republican Party. It seemed as though everyone regardless of party affiliation was grateful to Ray for strengthening the 2-party system. In the late 20's Ray Bliss was President of Phi Kappa Tau Fraternity at Akron U. of which my father, a freshman, was also a member. Ray's girlfriend was elected Homecoming Queen---Ray had stuffed the ballot box and was caught after the act. In those days you were expected to have honor and his fraternity took this very seriously. The members of Phi Kappa Tau took a vote to decide whether to expel their President, Ray Bliss, and the vote came out that they wouldn't, Ray remained a member and their President. I didn't ask my Dad how he voted, I figured he would have said had he wanted us to know but I'd guess that he voted to expel him. Ha, ha, well Ray wouldn't know this and he was always very thankful to all of his fraternity brothers for not ousting him. Had Ray been thrown out I don't think that it would have fatally effected his career as a politico but it would have been an inauspicious beginning for sure. HEY EVERYBODY-----Ray is dead and gone but the Republicans sure could use him today.

No comments: