Monday, November 17, 2008

good talk

Whenever somebody on the street asks me for money I always give them $5, today even. To buy something to eat you're going to need that much and even if they don't spend it on food and instead, say, spend it on a hit of crack, the fact that somebody that day found worth in them is something that they might be able to build on. I don't recommend that women do this. In February I'm going to have my third colonoscopy. My father died at "63" from the effects of colon cancer, I'm "61" and I'd like to avoid that. I had my first colonoscopy when I was almost "47" and the lady doctor said that my colon was "a thing of beauty." This sounded pretty funny and so I told the boy doctors what she had said and Dr. Weinburger said, "You should have asked her for her phone number, I'm still waiting for my wife to say something like that to me." I had my second colonoscopy almost 10 years later and they found a small pre-cancerous polyp (they snip it out right then, it doesn't hurt) and so I'm having one 5 years and 4 months later. I'm getting older but I'd like to avoid learning that One Great Secret for as long as possible. Life has its off-moments but its better than being dead. I urge everybody I know to get a colonoscopy, a lot of the guys I know walk around with their chests stuck out and most of them are too pansy to get a colonoscopy, they have the "ostrich" attitude about it. What sense does that make? I'm really looking forward to my next colonoscopy. In my previous 2 they gave me an IV of joy-juice and if they said that they were going to shove you out the window you wouldn't care. You're on your side when they do this, at least for me its this way, and you get to see your own colon in living-color, that is so much fun! Katie Couric was on the lecture circuit, maybe she still is, about getting a colonoscopy because she had a good husband who died at "42" from the effects of colon cancer (my father died in bits and pieces) and she wanted others to avoid this fate. I think that last year Katie, who was "50," had a boyfriend who was "33" so it sounds like she's found some solace (ehhhh young stuff). And yes, having a colonoscopy is one of the most fun things you can do in life.

No comments: