Tuesday, December 17, 2013

good talk

I thought that I could cross to England from, say, Rotterdam, I couldn't so I had to buy tickets to catch 7 trains in 14 hours from Amsterdam, only 71 Euros, to Calais, France.  I said I don't know if I can catch all these, it was 14 hours with a 6 hour stopover in Antwerp, that is catch 7 trains in 8 hours.  Antwerp's Train Station is old and beautiful and they lock it up at 10 P.M. and I was going to have to wait outside until 4 A.M.  I was talking to 2 real nice Station Security Guys and they said to just put my stuff in a coin locker, they checked the schedule and told me what track to be on to get out in the morning.  The one guy had been to the States and was a fan of Professional Wrestling (I'm not).  So anyway, I'm standing outside in the cold and I'm worried because this was sort of the Red Light District and I didn't want to get robbed.  I approached a couple of young policemen in a patrol car and they said you definitely shouldn't be standing here overnight.  They said to walk a half mile to a Police Station.  I did but they wouldn't let me sit inside, I asked the cop if I could wait outside of it and he said, It's a Free Country.  Now, this was a real well-lit area across from a Park and there were all these Orthodox Jews who worked in the Diamond Business walking around in 2's and 3's at 2 and 3 A.M. like it was 2 or 3 P.M., they were all little guys with big thick hats, seeing this was real interesting.  Then I saw the Police arrive at the Station with a big, beefy guy in handcuffs who they had arrested, he was going where the one cop was leading him but there were a total of 8 cops in case the Suspect tried to make good on whatever it was that he was bellowing....Amongst them was one of the young policemen who I had spoken with outside of the Train Station, he saw me standing at a distance watching all this and he came running over....He Robs, He Steals....I said he hasn't been a good boy since he was quite young and my new friend quickly agreed.  I went back to the Station and caught my next train and the successive ones to Calais having really enjoyed my stopover in Antwerp and the company of those Belgian Guys. 

No comments: