Thursday, December 4, 2008

good talk

You people have no talent, there's nothing that you can do that a whole lot of other people can't also do. You're haughty and pretentious and endemic of all the ills that infect this country and why this country probably is on its last legs. All you can do is a whole lot of talk, most people can talk. Maybe you should get religion, it would have to help. 4 years ago last spring I was traveling around North Africa and Western Europe and I was all over France, I was in Paris, of course, Avignon, where several Popes ruled, Arles, where Van Gogh lived, was in the asylum, and where he famously cut off his ear (Van Gogh had wanted to establish an Artists Colony, after the ear incident Paul Gaugan quickly left town), and Lourdes. I had been to Fatima many years before and gotten their water and now I was going to get Holy Water from Lourdes. Surrounded by the beautiful Pyrenees, Lourdes was packed with Pilgrims on a Tuesday. In 1858 Bernadette Soubirous, a 14 year old girl, told the townspeople that she had seen Appiritions of the Virgin Mary out by the town dump. The mayor wanted her to be taken to the bughouse but eventually Bernadette was able to persuade the townspeople that she had seen the Virgin Mary 18 times in this grotto. Told by Mary to dig in the grotto Bernadette struck water. Always sickly, Bernadette became a nun and died from her chronic ills when she was "33." What we learned from Bernadette is that we can be happy despite our afflictions. 67 Miracles of the Catholic Church have been attributed to the Holy Water in the Grotto, thousands more unofficial "miracles" have been attributed to the water. There's several faucets in and around the Grotto and you can have all the water you want. I drank it (bland), I poured it on me (can't hurt) and brought a liter and a half bottle back to the States. I'd let anybody have some even if I didn't know them, it's in my fridge now but just enough that I have some, I gave the rest away. Making a Pilgrimage to Lourdes was a wonderful experience that I'll always treasure and my Holy Water never evaporates even when left in a warm place for a month and a half. "Apparitions," correct spelling. I also went to Normandie and toured the Normandie Beachheads("Bloody Omaha" where after 2 hours and 43 minutes Omar Bradley demanded reinforcements for fear the Americans would be thrown back into the sea). The French were giving out nice keychains to the Americans in appreciation as it was the 60th Anniversary of D-Day, the keychains said "D-Day." Once I got back to the States I gave my Holy Water from Lourdes to my friend's mother and a D-Day keychain to his father who had actually been at D-Day on one of the boats and they liked this very much. Sam's parents were very old and about ready to die and have since died, I was glad to make them happy.

No comments: