Friday, December 5, 2008

good talk

Orenthal James Simpson is to be sentenced today and everybody says he'll get slammed. It's a pity it's come to this, I've always admired OJ's athletic ability. The first time I ever heard of OJ was the spring of my sophomore year at Ohio State, I was reading "Sports Illustrated" and there was an article about Southern Cal's 400 yard relay team and their anchor was----OJ Simpson, I didn't even know he played football. OJ had just transferred from City College of San Francisco. I don't want to see OJ punished severely, his most recent didn't seem to be all that bad of a crime. I'm sure that he did butcher those 2 people 14 years ago, they found the Juice's juice all over the crime scene. To purport that the LAPD planted evidence to frame the virtuous OJ Simpson is silly. OJ used a lot of cocaine and drugs make one act badly, we all heard what he sounded like on that 911 tape. I sort of grew up watching OJ's athletic feats, indeed I'm exactly 2 weeks older. Back in Ohio I used to pick up a black guy named "Doug" and drive him to work every morning, we worked at the same place. One morning Doug didn't come down when I honked, I knocked on his door and there was no answer. I learned that the night before Doug had stabbed a white guy in a bar, for this he was made to do a year in jail. Another black friend of mine, "Leon," in commenting on this incident said, "They took Doug out of the Ghetto, did they take the Ghetto out of Doug?" After he served his sentence Doug returned to Cleveland and I hope things went well for him, I liked Doug. Doug's case reminds me of OJ who really didn't come from much. In his adult life the only black people he had anything to do with were his own family and longtime friends like Cowlings, when he was acquitted one of the jurors gave OJ the clenched fist Black Power sign and I laughed, under ordinary circumstances OJ wouldn't have bothered to look in this guy's direction. The Blacks who had been very successful like Jim Brown and Richard Pryor all said that OJ was guilty. Once OJ's sentenced and sent off to prison a lot of people will say that OJ finally got what he deserved, What Goes Around Comes Around, but it's a sad event in the Melodrama that is OJ Simpson.

No comments: