Sunday, December 7, 2008

good talk

Cece was in her late 70's and when she died the Cat Lovers Club fell apart, nobody else had the experience and energy to keep it going. Cece had a very large obituary in both of the Las Vegas Newspapers and it was said that Cece's father had been a Rabbi, so we can guess that she probably wasn't Catholic. But I don't think that I hurt anything, once somebody is dead you're sort of limited in what you can do for them, regardless of anybody's religion, having 4 Masses said for the repose of their soul would be a good thing. Cece was widowed and had no children but there's a lot of people in that situation who wouldn't devote so much time and effort for so many years to help the Powerless. For decades I've had these Masses said at "Guardian Angel Cathedral" just east of mid-strip, the land for the Cathedral had been donated by Moe Dalitz, a famous gangster and a Jew. Moe is the only gangster I've heard of who was also a philanthropist, a pretty rare combination. Coincidentally I met Moe's great-nephew Chuck Dalitz when I was in Guatamala 12 years ago, Chuck had married a local woman and lived there. For this coming spring I'll have Masses said for my 2 relatives and also a Black and a Filipino (this is in addition to the 2 I've already had Masses said for), and maybe others. A year ago this past spring one of the people that I had Masses said for was Jim (English last name) who had been the manager of a motel that I had stayed at in San Diego, sometimes even for a month. Jim had lived at the motel with his wife Karen and their 2 children, a girl "12" and a boy "10," goodlooking nice-acting blonde ones. Karen always seemed to be into the parental thing but I was told by Jim that she had suddenly announced to her family that she didn't love Jim anymore and was leaving. What day did she choose to do this? Christmas Day. Jim told me that Karen lived out of state with her boyfriend that Jim found out that she had had and he told me that he still loved her and hoped that she would return to him. Jim was a tall good-looking extroverted type man who could have easily dug up another woman but didn't, Jim just devoted himself to raising his 2 "golden nuggets" as he put it and you could tell that he really loved those kids. The next time I stopped at the motel there was a different manager and I was told that Jim had suddenly died from a heart attack. Jim had died from a broken heart.

No comments: