Wednesday, January 14, 2009

good talk

When it gets down to the final 8 in Olympic Hockey it's Single Elimination, Sweden "went home" while Belarus advanced to the semi-finals (does Daddy Ed tell a good story?) where they came down to Earth with Canada beating them 7-1, Canada then went on to defeat the U.S.A. 5-2 for the Hockey Gold Medal they were so hungry for. I've been to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto and have a picture of me with my left hand on the Stanley Cup. Oh, one of Sweden's leading Newspapers had the pictures of the Swedish Team's Players on the Front Page along with the Salary that each made in the NHL, the Headline said "These Men Disgraced Their Country." So get a Life, I've lost 5 Dimes on a Sportsbet and it hardly bothered me, if you can't be a Good Sport you shouldn't be Competing. My day on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 wasn't over with the Belarus win over Sweden which was one of the 3 biggest Upsets in Olympic Hockey History along with the U.S.A. beating the Soviets 4-3 in 1980 and Great Britain defeating Canada 2-1 in 1936. I decided that I also wanted to see Apolo Anton Ohno of Seattle compete in Short Track Speedskating at the (ha) Delta Center at 7 P.M. I just Catted Around Salt Lake until about 4 P.M. when I made my way to the vicinity of the Delta Center. Getting a ticket for this very popular sold-out event, the 1500 meter Short Track Skating, was a Sticky Wicket. There weren't that many Scalpers and the ones that were offered bad seats for lots of money. I finally bought a $60 ticket for $150 and was glad to get it, mine wasn't a good seat but was far from the worst. Ohno was favored to win as many as 3 Gold Medals in Short Track Skating but the 1500 meter was to be the only one that he did win. It was close at the finish and Apolo Anton Ohno seemed to have finished Second to Kim Dongsung of South Korea. However after the Finish the Judges Conferred while an elated Kim was skating about holding a huge South Korean Flag. When Kim was told that he had been disqualified for cutting Ohno off as they raced for the Finish and that it was Ohno who had won the Gold Medal at 1500 meters, Kim threw his country's flag on the ice. I had made my way back to the temporary Greyhound Station just as the last bus to Las Vegas that day was leaving and they stopped and let me get on. This ride wasn't as restful as coming up, this guy who was about "40" thought that the lady busdriver, who was also about "40", was his Mother and was telling her his lifestory, which was really dull, the guy had lived a really dull life, in a Loud Voice for the duration of the trip to Las Vegas. Eh, kept her awake and I was very happy about my day at my first Olympics.

No comments: