Sunday, January 18, 2009

good talk

From the "Enquirer's" actions recently I'm not so sure that ABC can Bully and Bribe you cowardly, corrupt Swine as they have for over 2 years. I enjoyed Santiago, Chile when I was there almost 2 years ago, they have fine history and art museums and the place is overall interesting, I hadn't been there in 17 years. It was the end of March and I flew to Easter Island, 2237 miles away, this being the offseason I was able to buy my round-trip in the States for only $560, pretty good price. It was Easter Sunday, 1722 when the Dutchman Roggaveeen saw Easter Island, Rapa Nui. It's extremely rural and layed-back, I was there 4 days which is plenty of time and enjoyed it a lot, wouldn't mind returning some day. I arrived around 11 A.M. and left around 1 P.M. 4 days later, I went to the main drag in Hango Roa, the capitol, and walked around trying to find a good price and found a nice room for $30 a night if I paid for it all at once. It was right there in the middle of everything, what little there is. The island is only 63 sq. mi. and only has 3800 inhabitants. I was walking around and some guy offered to take me to the high spots for $70 for 5 hours, sounded good to me so I rode in the front seat next to him with his youngest, a little boy, in the backseat. This worked out real well. Easter Island is famous for its Moai, its big statues carved from volcanic ash, the island has 3 extinct volcanoes. There were originally 887 of these although some have been carted off. The island has been populated since maybe 800 A.D. and there's wide speculation on when the Moai were carved, transported and then set up, these were as heavy as 82 tons. By 1550 there were as many as 9000 people on the island but it deteriorated vastly after that. By the time the Dutch saw it deforestation, civil war and cannibalism had produced a downtrodden people. By 1825 all of the Moai had been knocked over as the people thought that the gods that the statues depicted had failed them. European diseases and slave raide depopulated Eater Island until by 1900 there was hardly anybody living there. I went to a 15 Moai line called Ahu Tongariki and was walking around on the ahu, stone platform, when I was told there was a $2000 fine for this should I be caught, oh. I had seen a whole lot by the end of the day, the remainder of my time on Easter Island I spent walking around to see the various Moai and enjoying the peacefulness of the setting, a Chilean possession it's in good hands.

No comments: