Saturday, May 8, 2010

good talk

I'm Gonna Start Endorsing Grills. My First Night in Havana Didn't Amount to Much. No Buses, You Have to Take an Expensive Taxi Ride Into Town From the Airport and It Was About 6 P.M. When I Got to my Casa Particulares. The People Were Quite Nice and As Always I Had a Nice Room and Private Bathroom. The Husband Was an M.D. and his Wife Taught School. Cuba Only has a Population of 11.2 Million but has 70,000 M.D.'s. Nobody, even Doctors, Makes Much in Cuba, He Said That He Made 40 U.S. a Month, So You Can See Why They Were Happy to See Me, ha, ha. The First Night I Just Walked Around in the Neighborhood, It's Dark Because They Don't Want to Waste Electricity on Lighting Up the Streets But You're Extremely Safe. Obviously I Stood Out but People Just Passed Me Without Any Curiosity, the People at the Casas Particularles are Quite Friendly but These Have to be Licensed, They Don't Let Just Anybody Operate One and of course They're Glad for the Extra Money. In General Cubans Aren't Friendly but on the Other Hand They're Not Obnoxious or at all Threatening, It's Very Mellow, Live and Let Live. Cuba is a 5th World Country Economically, Many of the Buildings are Ancient, If You Go Into a Supermarket There's Close to Nothing in There. While in Cuba I Spoke to Many Obviously Intelligent, Well-Educated and Urbane People Who Were Maybe 50 Years Old Who Had Never Been Outside of Cuba. Due to the Trade Embargo Many of the Cars are Very Old, a Lot of These are Taxis, You Can Take a Ride in a Mint '55 Chevy Bel-Air as Did I. You Travel to Feel the Difference and Boy Did I. Many of My Readers Travel by Being Met at the Sterile Airport by Hirelings, Whisked Off to the Sterile 5-Star Hotel Where They Stay in the Sterile Room or Suite, They're Taken Here and There in a Choreographed Routine and It's Not Even Worth Doing. To Go Places Properly One Has to Live as the Common People Do, My Experience Would Be Akin to Somebody of That Country Going to a Different City Within That Country. But All the While I Was in Cuba I Only Met 2 Other Americans, That's How Pansied Out Americans Are These Days. I Stayed in Old Havana and my 2nd Day I Walked Around and Toured, by Myself, Their Capitol Building Which is Modelled on Our Own and is a Little Bit Bigger, Built in the 20's When Cuba Was Bloated Rich with Sugar Money. I Liked It a Lot. I Pretty Much Just Walked and Walked That Day Without Much Direction. I Did the Havana Club Rum Tour, I Didn't Even Pay For It, I Just Walked in With a Tour Group, Glad I Didn't Pay, It Was a Bad Tour. The Next Day I Went to the Estadio LatinoAmerican (58,000) and Saw the Industriales Lions, the Most Legendary of Cuban Teams, Play the Havana Bulls in a Playoff Game. Baseball is Cuba.

No comments: