Tuesday, March 4, 2014

good talk

Almost 2 weeks ago I said I'd talk to Scott about Facebook, I haven't gotten around to talking to anybody about it.  On Sat. I came out of my Health Club around 3 P.M. and saw that all Heck was breaking loose at the nearby Food 4 Less.  There were fire engines, police cars and ambulances there and arriving.  The Cops were telling everybody to stay away (ok), I drove off thinking I'd read about it in the paper.  It turns out that an "88" year-old woman had driven a Ford-150 Truck through the front doors, took a hard right and drove, accelerating, down an aisle all the way to the rear wall.  In this chaos there were many minor injuries but unbelievably no one was seriously injured including the Old Lady. Managers were running around cautioning the Employees that they were forbidden to speak to the Media, many did anyway, one guy ....They better hire a cleanup crew 'cause I'm not doing it... (sounds like something I'd say), he didn't have the "Food 4 Less Attitude."  My older brother, Bob, after the Army went back to Ohio State and graduated with a Business Degree.  3 years later he got the Federal Job that he retired from but in the interim he had a few different jobs, one of those was working at Juvenile Diagnostic Center in Columbus (reform school).  He worked entirely with boys who had they been old enough would have been in Prison for their misdeeds.  He said they all came from broken-homes and all had low I.Q.'s.  He compared working there with going out and finding the most obnoxious people that you could and gathering them around you all day.  As a respite from the everyday sometimes they would have dances with the inmate girls.  He said there was a White Kid, who he said was 6'9" of all things, who tried to be a Leader and he'd tell the other Kids not to listen to him, he told me that he found this guy "disgusting."  Perhaps the harsh feelings became mutual as a plot was uncovered whereby this Kid and 5 others would overpower Bob and seize the keys making good their escape.  Bob thought I've had enough.  A year later Bob by now was working at a Department Store in Downtown Akron and chanced upon a Black Kid who had been one of his Charges when he had worked at Juvenile Diagnostic Center, they spoke for a bit.  Bob said that this Kid was different in that he had a Satanic Smile.  In wrapping up this happening Bob said ....Ohh if only I had reached that boy....   

No comments: