Tuesday, August 25, 2015

good talk

You people are my cross to bear.  There's no border-crossing between Turkey and Armenia, from Tbilisi I took a Marshrutka, group-taxi, to Yerevan, you can only between Georgia and Armenia by road.  It cost $5 and took 7 hours, there was a driver and 8 passengers.  The driver was a tall, middle-aged Georgian guy, when we were an hour away from Yerevan, the capital of Armenia, the driver stopped at a road-side bakery, and emerged with a huge breadloaf, and everybody grabbed a piece of it, except me.  The driver didn't speak English but encouraged me to also grab a piece of the bread by looking at me and saying ...Mmmmm... Well, I didn't want to be a stick-in-the-mud so I did as he indicated and, yeah, it was supremely delicious, wish I had some now.  I was dropped-off at beautiful Republic Square, I was unsuccessful at negotiating a rate at one of the 5-Star Hotels, but the Concierge was quite nice and called a 3-Star, Hotel House, a couple blocks away, and I enjoyed staying there for $63 a nite.  The Armenian National Gallery (paintings) and their History-Cultural Museum are in the same building at Republic Square, the last is quite good, hey, they've got the oldest shoe in the world in there.  A huge thing in Armenia this year is the marking of the l00th Anniversary of the Armenian Genocide in 1915 during WW 1.  There was some genocide of the Armenians by the Turks before and after 1915, but this was the big year for it.  The Turks have yet to say they're sorry for offing as many as a mil and a half Armenians, I went to the Armenian Genocide Memorial and Museum, I saw pictures of Turks posing with rows of Armenian heads (we can see how they'd be upset).  It's sort of like what's happening now, with Moslems eager to kill Christians.  Went to the "Mother Armenia" 75 ft. high statue (there's a "Mother Georgia" in Tbilisi) with a nice military museum attached.  Went to the Erebuni Fortress which goes back to782 B.C. and its accompanying museum.  The Armenians are sort of a mix of Greeks and Persians, lots of good-looking chicks.  Maria, at the hotel I stayed-at is about "23" and real-pretty, dark, petite, lady-like, she remarked on how little money one makes in Armenia, maybe one of you fellows can whisk her away from this, how many of the women you know you'd describe as lady-like.  The Kardashians went to Armenia this year to provide moral-support, I really enjoyed my time there.

No comments: