Sunday, December 3, 2017

good talk

In late April, I arrived at Istanbul's 2nd Airport, Sabiha Gokcen (Ataturk is their 1st, both are huge), from Azerbaijan, my 122nd Country, my 5th time to Turkey, and more wonderful things to see and experience (you should try to develop some healthy-interests).  Wanting some Turkish Lira, I used an ATM of  "ING (picture of a lion) Direct", Dutch, one of the largest financial institutions in the World.  The Machine thought that I took too long, and said they were confiscating my Debit Card, and did so.  I yelled ...This Machine took my Card... a few times, I'm sure a thousand People heard me, maybe more, and not one had any interest in trying to help me, except for one, Muhammad, an Electrical Engineer from Egypt (the Educated from anywhere lead a good-life), who was in Turkey on business.  Muhammad was a big, strongly-built guy, in his late 30's, he came running-over, and I told him exactly what happened, and that in my life this was the only time that I had an ATM take my Card.  And you wouldn't believe the effort that he put into trying to get the Machine to give me back my Card, after awhile I went to Customer Service as Muhammad was trying to extricate, and they just laughed and said, your Card is gone, so I return with Muhammad still frantically-trying to get the Machine to return my Card.  While all this was going-on, a few people would saunter-over, out of curiosity, and give-it a try, they weren't overly-interested, only Muhammad.  Up until 5 years ago, you could use Travelers Checks, and they were great and fool-proof, if lost or stolen you'd get them back very quickly, today, all you have are your Cards, I had 2 Debit and 1 MasterCard, and now I was down to 1 Debit and 1 MasterCard, and whatever Cash I had, which was a thou in U.S. hundreds and fifties, most of which I eventually exchanged for Lira, not willing to risk another Card during my one week in Turkey.  By now realizing the futility, Muhammad said, you have to call the U.S. and cancel your Card now, I said, I'll get around to it over the next couple days, he said, no, people have seen you and me using your Pin, they might be able to open the Machine and get your Card, you have to cancel it now (as you say, Dad).  As Muhammad was leaving  ...hope to run into you again, buddy...                                                                                                                                 

No comments: