Tuesday, October 21, 2008

good talk

My parents were married in February, 1942 and my older brother was born in February, 1943 but by then my father was in North Africa (and later Italy). In early 1945 my mother and older brother were in a drugstore in Akron and they walked past an old man who appraised them saying to my brother, "I'll bet your Daddy's overseas," and gave my brother a fifty-cent piece. They looked to him as the family of a man who would serve his country. My brother was 3 years old when my father and he saw each other for the first time when my father returned home in 1946. What my father did wasn't regarded as a sacrifice, it wasn't regarded as anything at all. This is the way Americans were at that time and it's not the way they are today, this is why Tom Brokaw called them "the Greatest Generation."

No comments: