Wednesday, June 3, 2009

good talk

Kourou is about 40 miles from the Capitol, Cayenne, and I went there by Public Transportation, from there I wanted to see the famous island French Penal Colonies. I couldn't find a hotel room for under $120, this Asian Family where the husband worked at the French Space Center in Kourou drove me about 6 or 7 miles trying to find a less expensive room, of all things. Then I asked people at the Wharf and this guy of India descent originally from Guyana named Shohan said that I should stay at his brother's place for free. I was reluctant but I sized Shohan up as a good-hearted chap who was sincere in trying to help me so I agreed. I stayed at his brother, Mohan's, place for 2 nights for free (bought us some beer). I try to come across as a Self-Assured Man of Confidence---I go to this Place and I'm Treated like some Poor Little Girl, What's the Deal? So the next morning I go to the Wharf and pay about $50 to go out on a Catamaran until about 5:30 P.M. on an all-day trip to the French Penal Colony Islands. It took an hour through very hard currents to get to the largest, Ile Royale. If you fell off the Catamaran that would be it for you due to the strong currents--you'd go under quickly. I paled around with a rich, young Dutch Guy named Yost all day. Yost was "33" and had made a lot of money but had developed an ulcer and was traveling for 2 years. Guy looked good, though, he said he didn't exercise and I told him that if he went to the gym twice a week that would probably cure his ulcer, I know a guy who did this. I saw so many old prison cells this day. There were Penal Colonies throughout French Guiana from 1852-1953, the Worst of the Worst they put on these Islands. From Royale we went to Ile St. Joseph which was quite close and we got very near to the Ile du Diable, Devil's Island, and were quite close to the stone building that housed Captain Alfred Dreyfuss, Devil's Island is quite small and is uninhabited and nobody today lands on it due to the Currents. Very Exciting to see Something that you've Always Heard About, eh? Ile St. Joseph was also quite interesting, I walked around both Royale and St. Joseph and swam off the Wharf at St. Joseph, no Current there. "Papillon" of course made these Islands even more famous. Written by Henry Charierre and largely Fiction, Charierre made no Escape Attempts and was Well-Behaved, a lot of his book is based on stories about Others even from 20 Years Before. But there quite possibly is a true Papillon in a Parisian about a hundred years old if he's still alive, Charles Brunier, who has an old Butterfly Tatoo on his Left Forearm and of Whom there were 3 Documented Escape Attempts. This was a truly Memorable Day and I'll Never Forget My Day touring the Iles du Salut and I'll always Remember the Kindness of Shohan and Mohan. Nobody's Here for a Long Time so Gotta Have a Good Time.

No comments: