Tuesday, July 28, 2009

good talk

I was Sorry to hear about the demise of Vernon Forrest, a well-known Good Guy and a Brave Fighter. I had seen him fight. You wonder how People are Capable of such Swinish Behavior. I saw the USA Basketball Team play this past Sat. Nite, it was half against the other. I saw Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose, Kevin Love (whose halfcourt outlet pass is one of the true athletic beauties), the very good O.J. Mayo and others, some of the best Basketball Talent in the World. I just went to the Dentist and it's now been 10 years since I had a cavity. I also had all that Guck scraped off my teeth by Jan, who is the best I've had, a Scrapejob. I laugh when I read how they want schools to get their classroom size down to under 30. I graduated from the 8th Grade at St. Sebastian's in Akron, Ohio and I remember that of the 2 8th Grades, one had "55" and the other had "58." It was actually hard to learn due to the size and they spent half the day praying or going to Church, also some of the Nuns weren't Good Teachers. But on Comprehensive Tests they did well against the Public Schools, maybe it was all that praying. Sebastian had been a Roman Officer who became a Christian so the Romans tied him to a post and shot him full of Arrows, how he'd usually depicted. But a Woman took him Home and nursed him back to Health. Recovered, he confronted the Emperor Diocletian, saying Why do you persecute the Christians. Diocletian replied, Why I hadn't really thought about it, he then ordered Sebastian to be taken out and bludgeoned to death. On St. Sebastian's Feast Day everybody in the school got a big hard-candy Arrow. I usually just got B's and C's in School, yeah I tried hard, always came to school, studied, best I could do, Just Plain Folks, Just Plain Folks. My older brother, Bob, never went to Kindergarten, he had as good of grades as Anybody, say in High School he took all Advanced Placement Courses. In his 4th Year German Class he was one of 3 in it. He never studied at home, I never knew him to read a book from cover to cover. About all he read in the newspaper was the sportspage. He's a retired 30 year Federal Employee, he graduated from Ohio State with a degree in Business, to get his federal job he took a test and got a "94," he didn't study for it, he just walked in and took it. That plus 5 points for Veterans Preference gave him a "99." When he took the Interview the guy offered him the job at the end. What most people would consider to be a very good job he was offered just for showing up for the interview? Having already 3 years federal service for being in the Army, the least amount of vacation he ever got was 4 weeks. He retired at "55" and his pension is as stable as this country itself. I'm glad of this, I don't say have to worry about him being amongst the homeless. We're nothing alike, it's not like he's telepathic for example, he reminds me of "Grog," a Neandethal in the comic strip B.C., whose only utterance is "Grog." Both my brothers always had a lot of friends and could dig up a girl pretty easily so Others thought better of him than myself, maybe they're right.

No comments: