Wednesday, January 20, 2016

good talk

Soon will be the 30th anniversary of the "Challenger Disaster," Jan. 28, 1986.  I knew one of the astronauts, Judy Resnik, slightly in high school, at Akron Firestone.  She was Jewish, quite pretty, and known to be extremely-bright, especially in Math.  I'd see her, at say, basketball games, and was surprised, as I would have thought her to stay at home studying books, so I knew that she liked to go out, altho I didn't know to that extent.  An elementary school in West Akron is named for Judy.  She was a year behind me, in the same class, of 1966, at Akron Firestone was Stu Powrie, who was a member of the Blue Angels Precision Flying Team, Lt. Commander Powrie's plane crashed during training, on Feb. 22, 1982.  I didn't know Stu Powrie, at all, but knew who he was, he seemed the All American Boy.  Christa McAuliffe, was going to be the "Teacher in Space" on the Challenger, and her parents were at Cape Canaveral to see her lift-off.  For the next 2 weeks, whenever you turned on the TV to watch the News, you'd see video of Christa's parents' reactions, as they watched their daughter die       

No comments: