Thursday, October 31, 2013

good talk

From Rimini I went to Rome by train, I've there lots was there at "9," I've possibly seen everything but never tire.  I went to the Colosseum, the Flavian Amphitheatre, begun by Vespasian in 70 A.D. and completed by his son Titus in 80 A.D. with improvements by his other son Domitian (81 to 96 A.D.), the Flavius family.  It seated 50 to 80 thou all depending, famous for gladiatorial contests they continued even after Christianity was declared by Edict to be the only Religion allowed within the Roman Empire in 380 A.D.  When the Pagan Visigoths took Rome in 410 A.D. gladiatorial contests in which men and sometimes women would fight to the death were eventually banned, the Visigoths claimed it was disgusting. A stone's throw away is the Forum and Arch of Titus, the Forum was originally Rome's marketplace and eventually had Temples such as the one dedicated to Vesta, the Vestal Virgins housed nearby, it's where the Senate often met and where Triumphs, parades of victorious generals. would end.  You walk through there everything is beaten down but you think of who walked there and what went on.  Nearby and 40 meters up is the Palatine Hill the center of Rome's 7 and where the Romans originally settled, by legend a cave there is where Romulus and Remus were suckled by the She-Wolf. Several of the Emperors had their palaces there, prominent ruins are those of Augustus, Tiberius and Domitian.  At a slight distance you can see where Caligula was done in.  I went to St. Peter's Basilica begun in 1506 and completed in 1626 it replaced the 4th Century Basilica, St. Peter is thought to be buried beneath the Altar, St. Peter is considered to be the first Pope and many Popes are interred within.  Amongst the great artworks is Michelangelo's Pieta at which I could just stare all day. After the Allies took Rome in WW 11 my Father among maybe 10 Catholic Officers had an Audience with Pope Pius X11, that must have been something.  I stayed at a nice place for 45 Euros which included a Killer Breakfast, Sightseeing is hard work and I told my friend who prepared this that his Breakfast was the highlight of my Day.  At Termini there's a Travel Agency and I bought an air ticket for Barcelona for only 180 U.S.

No comments: