Friday, June 26, 2015

good talk

I landed at Cairo at 2 A.M., and arranged a stay at the "King Hotel," where I had stayed the first time I was in Egypt exactly 30 years before.  Slept 4 hours, getting up refreshed at 8, their breakfast buffet incl., just basic grub but ok.  Taxi to the "Egyptian Museum," easily the best museum in the world, my 5th time there.  Priceless treasures, too many to count, they showed a lot of different stuff from my last time in 2008.  During the violence of 2011 a human-chain was formed around the Museum, their effort succeeded.  Last I knew the museum was only air-conditioned where they have the Pharoahs' mummies, I've always been there in May.  I've probably seen about all of King Tut's Treasure by now, for sure I look at everything, you don't want to go with me as I'll be in a museum for even 7 hours, nothing escapes my perusal.  Silly tourists quickly pass by Jean Pierre Montet's Tanis discoveries of 1939-1940, which included 3 intact Pharoah's tombs, and are regarded as about as significant as Tutankhamen's.  Sure, I shelled-out a little extra to look at the 11 Pharoahs' mummies, during my times in Egypt I've seen about 35 all told.  This had stopped under Sadat, as Anwar had said it was wrong for the bodies of great kings to be gawked-at, and he was probably right.  One of them was Rameses 11, Rameses the Great, who lived to be "90," you know, Yul Bryner, the Pharoah in "Exodus" (that's not a god, that's a stone shaped like a bird).  I'm just an Average Joe but these eyes have seen fab things

No comments: