Sunday, July 3, 2016

good talk

Bought a cheap-ticket in Melaka and flew-out that evening KL to Bangkok.  Thailand is 100 mil and Greater Bangkok is 14 mil., established during the Ayutthaya Kingdom of the 1400's.  I've been to Thailand a zillion times, but not for 11 years.  A nice-man at the airport hooked-me-up with a good hotel with a yummy breakfast buffet, and I stayed 3 nights.  The day after I arrived began Thailand's week-long Water Festival.  I went to the Grand Palace, which is extensive and beautiful, and includes the Wat (means temple) Phra Kaew---the Temple of the Emerald Buddha (actually jade, eh, green).  I went to the Wat Pho---the Temple of the Reclining Buddha, and there stood in line, the only White Guy, to receive the water-blessing of the Head Buddhist Priest.  To the throng's approving-laughter, I pulled-down my shirt and the Priest smacked-me resoundingly with reeds-dripping-with-water over the back of my neck.  I was very grateful.  Went to the Wat Traimit---the Golden Buddha, 5.5 tons of pure-gold, only discovered at this temple 40 years ago, when a crane dropped-it the base-covering cracked-off.  Concealed during the 1300's to protect it from marauding Burmese (the Thais and Burmese are a thousand-year blood-enemies), it's so beautiful.  To the Wat Arun and its distinctive prangs (spires).  While in Bangkok, twice on the same tuk-tuk ride, someone hurled a bucket of water on me from a few feet away, I'm a good-sport but I was soaked from head to foot, and it felt rather bad (learning this, you're upset)       

No comments: