Tuesday, September 27, 2016

good talk

I followed Arnold Palmer at the first American Golf Classic, at Firestone Country Club, in 1961, he won-it the next year.  A guy recently told me that some woman he knew was all-excited because when she was part of "Arnie's Army", Arnold had looked-at-her.  Palmer had looked-at-me, and I was offended, thinking, what's with this guy looking-at-me, I might not have-had the right-attitude, well, I was only "14", a young-boy.  Some athletes are like-that, enjoy looking-into the crowd, "counting the house".   Arnold had a lot of charisma, he generally excited-people, and was iconic in the popularization of golf.  From Akron, I had shot many rounds before giving-up golf at "16", as did both my brothers.  LeBron probably didn't do this, altho like Jordan and Barkely, who are golf-fanatics, no doubt tried the game in early-adulthood, I've never heard of LeBron shooting a round, so I'm sure he doesn't.  Like so many, my father thought Golf was The Game, and as a young-engineer at Goodyear, belonged to a country-club by himself (his mother, my grandmother, said, that he complained that if he took a girl to a club-dance, old men would try to dance with her).  I doubt if my Old Man jitterbugged, wasn't that in vogue then, you ever see that, to see those who are good is very-nice                                        

No comments: