Monday, November 6, 2017

good talk

This past Friday and Sat., legendary Del Mar Racetrack hosted the 34th Breeders' Cup for the first time, with horses from all-over the World, flying in on private planes, determined to compete against the best.  Del Mar was begun in 1937 by a partnership of actors, led by Bing Crosby, in 1938, it was the site for the duel between Seabiscuit (the horse that gave a nation hope during the depths of the Great Depression (?) and Ligaroti, the first of many fabled races.   Strangely, it was only recently that Del Mar made the track-improvements needed to host a BC, and it was such a big-success that it could well be back in 2019.  I wasn't going to attend, but on Friday, the desire to go on Sat., when they had most of the big races, ending with the "Classic", deciding the true-best of the equine-champions, grew and grew inside me until, if I couldn't be there on Sat., I wasn't going to want to live anymore.  At 5:30, I made my way to "Atlas Tickets", off of Sports Arena, I had bought tickets there before. They only had a couple left, I bought a "Beach Infield".  I asked, how do you stay in business competing against StubHub, and was told, we're cheaper than them (since 1989), oh, I see.  Jon, Louis, and Benny are real-affable guys and nice to talk with, and I paid $125 for a face-value of $200, out at the track every-one I talked to paid either face or more.  They handle all-events, 619-222-7800.  The "Beach Infield" is a section of the infield where you have the best viewing of the start and finish, you're walking-on thick sand they trucked-in, it has it's own bar and comfy chairs and umbrellas, and everybody is friendly and excited, you gotta show your ticket to get-in, and it was so-much fun.  It was a perfect-day, 71 and blue skies, and while you're in luxury, over in the Grandstand it was totally-dark throughout the day, due to its angle, and much colder.  The viewing is better than the lower tier of the GS (2 tiers), tho in the upper you can see the horses run on the other side of the track.  But in the BI, you're pretty close to the horses, you can hear the hooves, you can hear the Jocks use the whip, it was fantastic.  I bet $100 on West Coast in the Classic, thinking that its 8-1 would increase, but being a Baffert horse, it went-off at 4-1, moot, anyway, as it finished 3rd, behind winner, Gun Runner, and Collected.  The most fabulous day.  A sweet girl I met, Taelor, told me I had beautiful-eyes, I hope she writes         

No comments: