Thursday, September 19, 2013

good talk

I took the bus from Chisinau to Kiev, Ukraine the road was terrible and the ride very bumpy but I slept well, I like any kind of transpo to go anywhere any way is wonderful.  Ukraine has the largest area of any European country and a popul. of 45 mil, it declared Independence in 1991. Kiev founded in the 9th cent. A.D. is the Capitol and largest city with 2.8 mil.  I went to the fabulous Kyevo-Pecherska Lavra founded in 1051 A.D. I was there 7 hours and rightly so.  There's the Cathedral of the Dormition, the Great Lavra Belltower, several Churches several museums.  I went into the Caverns where they have 100 dead saints laying there in their caskets, I bought a long candle, lit it and followed everybody else inside where you proceed single file (the Orthodox Priests are real good I'm sure but in their robes, long hair and beard they have a wild appearance like Rasputin, one cautioned me that my candle was too close to the shirt of the guy in front of me, this fellow probably wouldn't like me burning his shirt).  The Scythian Goldwork from 6th cent. B.C. is so intricate and exquisite that this extensive collection was one of the best things I saw on my trip.  I went to St. Sophia's Cathedral-Museum Complex which was very good, modelled on the Hagia Sofia in Constantinople which was the largest building in the world St. Sophia's was completed in 11th cent. A.D. I went to the newly reconstructed St. Michael's Cathedral torn down by the Communists the rebuilding was finished in 2000.                              

No comments: