Wednesday, February 4, 2015

good talk

Scott has only been a little into Canada and Mexico, and is always asking about my travels, he said that he wants me to take him to the British Isles.  He'll be "44" in March.  Mike's in Thailand now, I knew he had never been to Myanmar, Burma, which has fab things to see, and said you should go, he said I'll go if I can get so and so to come along.  These are Men, not little girls, if you want to go someplace, just go, nothing to it, good grief.  Scott's parents now live at his house in L.V. after retiring from San Diego, they weren't beach-goers and say L.V.'s air is better.  Scott asked me over to watch the SuperBowl, his Mom, Patty, made a real good ham dinner, mashed potatoes, carrots, you know (I'm sure it's wrong to kill and eat animals, but they taste mighty good).  I brought a bottle of wine which I got at a Lee's Discount Liquor, Koreans who came to this Country almost penniless 30 years ago, their store on Sunset is the largest liquor store west of the Miss., the Old Man says he'll never retire as he enjoys doing it so much.  Hard Work goes a long way.  Gil Lempert-Schwarz is a young wine expert who writes a great column weekly for the L.V.R-J.  In it he touts an inexpensive wine that he considers to be a great value.  This past week it was Veramonte Cabernet Sauvignon, 2013, from Chile, it cost 8 and change incl. tax.  Gil wrote ...Is a very deep blackish red color with an opaque ruby red center going out into a blood-red rim definition... It immediately coats the palate with powerful black fruit characteristics, followed by tons of cherry and cassis juices, and then ripe firm tannin structure... An excellent midpalate, with loads of fruit and crushed loganberry and finishes powerfully with chunks of cherry liqueur and creme de cassis... I'm not a wine-drinker but Gil's critique is always so impressive that I've always wanted to buy a bottle that he recommended.    

No comments: