Thursday, November 14, 2013

good talk

I went Madrid to Paris by bus, I like the bus, and the place was packed in early June.  I've been to Paris lots and I went to the hotel I had stayed at the previous 2 times, not only would it have cost twice as much it was full.  All the hotels were full so I went to the hostels and almost all of them were full.  Finally an "International Hostelling" location took pity on me and I stayed there 3 days in a room with 3 other guys, had a good breakfast buffet.  Whenever I travel every morning I eat as much as humanly possible to sustain myself for the hard day of sightseeing. I bypassed the things I always have done in Paris such as walking the about 2 miles from the Place de la Concorde (optimistically named the place of peace after the Reign of Terror this is where Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette were beheaded, there's a circle noting the exact spot, how grisly) to the Arc de Triomphe.  I only went to 3 art museums and it was shoulder to shoulder.  Just to get in I had to wait in line for an hour minimum.  I went to the Louvre, begun in 1793 in a former Royal Palace with 8 mil yearly visitors it's the World's most-visited museum.  Its art and antiquities run the gamut of Prehistoric to the Present, there amongst many other treasures are the "Mona Lisa" and the "Venus de Milo."  It usually isn't shown this way but if you see the Venus in natural sunlight it seems as though it's alive.  I went to the Musee d'Orsay a former railway station which is itself in the "Art Nouveau," it holds the largest collection of Impressionist, Postimpressionist and Art Nouveau Paintings (1840's to 1914) in the World.  Then to the Musee de l'Orangerie which was originally the shelter for the orange grove of the Tuileries Palace and more of the same.  To be in Paris is always very exciting.   

No comments: