Wednesday, March 18, 2015

good talk

Hi Ho Everyone.  I recently drove my beautiful Avalon to the Chevron at Flamingo and Maryland here in L.V. to gas-up, I probably coasted-in on the fumes.  I pumped 16 and a quarter gallons, it's a 16 gal. tank.  When I went to get my change I flirted with "the Butcher's Thumb" but resisted.  I was watching the Big Bands on the PBS, Glenn Miller's "In The Mood" would get anybody's blood moving.  Been too hot lately, 84 the other day, 3 years ago March was plenty cold.  Ichiro Suzuki's great career is winding-down with the Marlins, I saw him play for Seattle in Toronto's beautiful stadium, it was "Japanese Appreciation Night."  In the U.S., the Major Leaguers' time is their own when they're not on Club business, while in Japan all of the Japanese Players' time is orchestrated whether it's Club business or otherwise.  In his 2nd year with the Mariners... In Japan, they treat you as though you were a child...  I'm up to 213, I should weight 205, I look pretty-good if you overlook the fat, maybe pretend it's not there.  When I was a Freshman at Bowling Green (Ohio), my room-mate was Vince Newlin. Vince's look-alike (6'4", muscular, same mug) younger brother by 2 years was Mike Newlin, Star Shooting-Guard for the Houston Rockets who all you old-guys remember (paired with Calvin "Dad" Murphy, at last report 14 children by 9 women).  Vince put all his eggs in one basket, on football, and it didn't turn-out,  Vince was very hard-working and strong-minded, probably like Mike, and I'm sure his life went well.  Vince had gone to one of those Catholic Boys High Schools around L.A. and in those days they turned-out a lot of virtuous, virginal, young men.  Anyway, one night Vince and I borrowed a car and drove 20 miles to Toledo to see a burlesque-show at a place called "The Town Hall."  It was pretty-good and I still remember one of the Comedian's jokes.  Vince had never seen anything like the way these women postured themselves and, ha, ha, was covering his face with his hands throughout.  Now, it's not as though I led a virtuous, chaste, young man, into a Den of Iniquity, I don't recall that it was even my idea to go there (I sure hope he doesn't read this).  That was a memorable evening, I never saw Vince again as I transferred to Ohio State and he went back to Ca., but I think fondly of his good personality and high character.  

No comments: