Thursday, June 16, 2016

good talk

I've been to Malaysia a few times, always from Singapore.  Entering by train, I'd look out the window, and in reference to drug-dealing, I'd see a sign with a picture of a noose.  Malaysia gained its Independence from Great Britain, in 1957, and has 30 mil. This time I took a couple buses to reach Kuala Lumpur, a relatively new city, hacked out of the jungle by tin-miners 150 years ago.  I made my way to the Central Train Station and took a taxi to Little India, where there's a lot of good, cheap, places to stay.  The Petronas Towers, twin towers, were the tallest tower(s) in the world from 1998 to 2004, at 452 metres.  They have a mall down below, to go to the top, they charge an unreasonable amount, like, today, it's 85 U.S., so I haven't done this.  But I did go up the Menara Tower, 421 metres, and boy was it smoggy, tho the Malaysians say it's from forest-burning in Indonesia, whatever, you can't see as far as you want to.  I went to the National Mosque, Masjid Negara, it's very impressive, from 1965 and seats 15 thou.  I went to their National Museum, and the Islamic Arts Museum, one of the finest of this anywhere.  Kuala Lumpur has good eats, good things to see, and is a lot of fun

No comments: