Saturday, June 11, 2016

good talk

This was my 5th visit to Singapore, on my 2nd visit, as the plane was descending, the flight attendant got on the intercom ...The penalty for drug-dealing is death!... warm welcome.  I had previously visited Sentosa, been to the Raffles Hotel where the Singapore Sling was created in its Long Bar, and toured the replica of the Changhi WW 11, prisoner-of-war camp on which "King Rat," one of my favorite books was based (James Clavell ...The Japanese tore the soul from my body...).  Next to it, is today's Changhi Prison (the death-house was pointed-out to me, and 2 weeks later they dropped a woman for importing heroin).  I was at the Peranakan Museum (what they call the original Straits inhabitants), and the National Gallery, the art was ok, and their very good Singapore National Museum.  I went to the Anglican, St. Andrews Cathedral, where Sui-Kim, a very nice lady who used to work at the Singapore Embassy in D.C., gave me a personal-tour.  In its current form, St. Andrews was built by conscripted-Indians, and consecrated in 1870.  I went to the Jurong Bird Park, I had never been to an aviary before, and this is the largest in Asia.  I liked it a lot, they had 380 species of birds, they had everything you can think of, they had shows, I was there all day. Later in my trip, in Mongolia, I had a Golden Eagle on my right-arm, I was hoping that he wouldn't turn on me                      

No comments: