Saturday, September 8, 2018

good talk

Happy "100th", me and my Father were the only ones in my family, not born during wartime.  For 7 weeks, this past Spring, I took a delightful-trip around most of my Country.  Except for 3 flights, and once on the Amtrak, and 2 short-trips on Jefferson Lines, all my transpo was on Greyhound.  They no longer have a pass for a month or 2, whatever, you buy tickets individually, and it's more-expensive, but pretty-good, always undecided in my travels, I'd buy them a day or 2 before using, maybe the same-day.  Look out the window, it's good, see stuff.  You can sleep-well on them, I do.  You'd never catch any of you people taking a 'dog, you throw yourselves-around. Flying from one sterile-airport to another, isn't much fun.  From New Orleans, there's 2 Amtrak trains, "The City of New Orleans" (like the song), and "The Crescent", which I took to Tuscaloosa, Ala., it was 2 and a half-hours late.  Being a Buckeye, I've wanted to check-out these great football-champions, which are usually-better than my Alma Mater, and I was in their basketball-arena, Bryant-Denny Stadium, and the Paul W. Bryant Museum, which has their sports memorabilia, mostly their esteemed football-past.  And I walked the Campus, real-pleasant.  The Greyhound Station for this city of 100 thou, is in a corner of a big gas station-convenience store, and there sits Flora, a real-nice lady, who let me keep my bag there all day.  Flora is married to a retired-driver, has no children, and has been a commission-salesperson for Greyhound for 44 years, since she was "18", the only job that fine-lady has ever had, she says she loves-it, and works 7 days a week.  At 3 in the morning, everyone on the bus is asleep, save for the noble-driver, safely-sending his entrusted to their destination, the Gray Knights of the Highway                                                                                      

No comments: