Thursday, August 7, 2014

good talk

Flew to Dominica, discovered by Columbus on his 2nd Voyage in November, 1493, 290 sq. mi., pop. 71 thou.  Not settled until 1635 by the French due to fierce Caribs, Britain and France battled for control until England took it for good in 1805.  Capitol is Roseau, Dominica gained Independence from Britain in Nov., 1978.  Not a real touristed place as there's no good sandy beaches, enjoyable nonetheless.  I stayed at the nice Sutton Place Hotel in Roseau.  The Botanic Gardens in Roseau were real interesting, their Museum was informative.  I read "People" in their quaint Carnegie Library, a fine 1906 stone building.  I began to walk up to the Morne Bruce, a long, steep climb to the ritzy enclave way above the city, a priest saw me and gave me a lift to the top, that was very nice of him.  A fabulous sight of the City and the Sea, one of my most memorable views.  I walked around and entered the grounds of Police Headquarters, a big expanse with a number of buildings.  I'm maybe 50 yards inside and 2 guys come running out of a building with one waving a pistol his friend saying...  It's Very Dangerous for You To Be Here...  I felt unwelcome.  I went 15 miles outside of Roseau to the Waitukubuli National Trail where I swam in "the Emerald Pool," beautiful water from a 40 ft. waterfall, oh that was really good. I went to Carib Territory to commune with the 2200 Caribs living there, the only surviving Caribs extant in the Caribbean.  It proved to be entirely false, the people in Carib Territory look the same as the people in Roseau, Black.  I'm sorry to say that today there are no Caribs.                      

No comments: