Tuesday, August 5, 2014

good talk

Friday Nite I went to the Thomas-Mack to see an intra-squad basketball game between 2 halves of "Team USA."  These were the 20 hopefuls who wanted to represent the US in international competition.  I had seen Derrick Rose play thrice previously and he looked better than ever, the poor guy's been snake-bit, let's believe it's in the past.  Kevin Durant, James Harden, Stephen Curry and others looked real good.  At halftime 200 young people were sworn into the Air Force of all things with Mike Krzyzewski waxing enthused  ...I graduated from West Point, I was an Army Captain... (they showed close-ups and half of them weren't even repeating the Oath).  But everything was going smoothly until Paul George broke his leg in the 2nd Half.  After a half-hour delay and with 9 mins. 33 seconds left in the game, Mike K once again leapt into action  ...The Scrimmage (a regular game but this is what they called it) Is Over...  Boy was I disappointed, I had really looked forward to seeing this, and had paid 15 big ones to see an entire game.  Injuries are commonplace in basketball games, I had never seen a game called for this.  Back in Ohio (do you like this phrase of mine) I went to an Akron U. Football Game.  In the 3rd Quarter, the Akron U. Tight End staggered over to the Sideline and dropped dead from an undiagnosed bum ticker.  There were no histrionics, there wasn't even a delay of game or time-out called, this guy was dead, what was Akron U. Football supposed to do about it.  It's not like they stashed the body under the Bench until the game was over, but no undue and false emotion was displayed.  Back in Ohio they didn't make a big production out of everything (I wonder if I can get a partial-refund).  

No comments: