Thursday, October 2, 2014

good talk

Arrived in Cuzco by bus, founded in 1100 by the Incas and taken by the Spanish in 1533, Cuzco is up 11000 feet.  I pop an iron pill every morning along with my other vits and mins, just doing that gives me 20% more stamina as I have iron-poor blood, doesn't matter as it's easily corrected.  At altitude like that I pop 2 iron pills for possible Soroche, Altitude Sickness, and I've never had a problem. Was here 7 years ago, then I went to the Machu Picchu from Cuzco, it's beautiful and surrealistic, everything is joined-together without mortar, the Lost City of the Incas was discovered by Hiram Bingham, future U.S. Senator from Vermont.  I would have gone there this time except MP has become more popular yet and one needs a Reservation to climb the Mountain, when I was there before you just showed up and they let 300 in a day. I didn't know that, I just wandered in and I was the next to the last they let in that day.  If I can't climb the Mountain I ain't goin'.  I went to the Plaza de Armas and nice Injun Gals solicit you for an Inca Massage with Hot Rocks, it's not prostitution.  I had 2 2-hour Massages and they were great, they charge $13 an hour but I paid $20, good pay for good work.  To the magnificent Cathedral built from the Inca Ruins.  On Loreto there's the oldest wall in Cuzco also seamlessly joined, on a parallel street in the wall is the 12-sided stone, part of the Palace of the 6th Inca.  To Qorikancha, formerly an Inca Temple, now Iglesia de Santa Domingo.  To the Museum of PreColombian Art, priceless artifacts, considered amongst the best in S.A..  At the Iglesia de San Blas, the Pulpit is considered to be the finest woodworking in the Americas, the skull of the guy who created it is on the top, looking at this gave me the creeps.  The big Museo Inca is real good and interesting.  Took a half-day tour, and to avoid robbery it's good to be in a large group, outside of Cuzco and saw Saqsaywaman.  In 1536, Manco Inca, the puppet ruler installed by the Spanish, rebelled and a great battle was fought with the thousands of Inca Dead attracting Condors, today there's Condors in Cuzco's Coat of Arms. To Q'enqo where the Incas sacrificed, to Tambomachay, a ceremonial bath and the ruins of Pukapukara.  On the way back they stop where you can buy an Alpaca Sweater, the best is pretty expensive.  The Alpacas are real cute but their steaks are delicious, I wish I had a bottle of Inca Cola.   

No comments: