Tuesday, July 28, 2015

good talk

Chattanooga has been in the news lately.  My uncle, Clayton Shields, owned a couple hardware stores and other stuff there, Clayton was a go-getter.  Well, Clayton and I weren't really related, he was married to my Grandmother's sister, his wife was my great-aunt, he lived to "87" and she to "93," good.  The interesting thing about Clayton was that he was a beekeeper.  They had a huge backyard and I saw Clayton don the beekeeper's garb and go to the very rear and take the bee's honey, fresh and delicious, we put that and fresh butter on baked-bread right out of the oven, and with cocoa, boy, was that good.  In Chattanooga is The McCallie School where I went for 2 weeks, no, Ed wasn't expelled or ran-away, me and my older brother, Bob, were stashed-there as my parents needed to put us somewhere before we moved (I lived in Darmstadt, Germany, for 3 years from ages 8 to 11, my father was sent there by B.F. Goodrich to help a subsidiary as Germany was rebuilding after being bombed-into-the-Stone Age).  And those were really high-class boys, and they had wonderful activities every night.  A big boy made me cry and felt badly so he sold me a big hunting-knife at a preferred-customer's price (I was fascinated by knives when I was little, every day in 4th and 5th grade I carried a pocketknife to school and at recess would often hone its edge on the brick-building), and when I got home my Mother took it away from me.  Who was a graduate of The McCallie School, Ted Turner.        

No comments: