Wednesday, July 15, 2015

good talk

Yesterday, at the gym, Mark, a retired Lit Prof. at UNLV, asked in passing, who was the only pitcher to start the 1st game of the World Series for 3 teams?  I said, I think I know, he walked-away as my head was bowed, I thought I knew the answer but I couldn't come-up with the name.  I came-up with the names of the teams he played-for and the players around him, but I couldn't come-up with his name.  I knew that Mark came to the gym about every day, but only for an hour, and I didn't know how long he had been there that day, I was sure that I'd come-up with the name, but if I did after Mark left, then I had failed.  I tried to relax my mind, I was being driven-nuts by trying to think of his name.  After 20 minutes it popped into my mind, I frantically looked-around for Mark, I thought that might be him heading towards the door, I broke into a desperate-run across the gym, I said, Mark, the guy turned-around, it was him ...Jack Morris... ...That's right... Boy, was I relieved, that was so close.  A lot of people know more baseball-trivia than Ed, where I used to live there was an older-lady who was encyclopedic on baseball and basketball, being from Mass., she had been to the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, she said that her goal was to get to Cooperstown before she died (about "75"),  ...Past then might prove difficult... Mark is a real-nice fella, but in retirement he's good at drivin' a guy nuts, what he did to me

No comments: