Monday, July 14, 2014

good talk

I flew extensively in the Caribbean recently exclusively on LIAT.  It seemed to be a good idea as LIAT is the main airline in the Caribbean going more places than any other and I had flown LIAT 2 years ago and thought it all right.  I had flown Barbados to Grenada, Grenada to St. Vincent, St. Vincent to St. Lucia, and St. Lucia to Barbados, and all 4 flights left and arrived on time.  The only flaw was that arriving in Grenada my bag had a one-foot tear which only could have been caused by say dropping it from head high onto concrete.  But this time half of the many flights were late departing by 1 to 4 hours with similar arrival times, it was bad.  I began on LIAT flying San Juan to Antigua and it was delayed 3 hours and I arrived in the dark shooting half the day. My last flight was Antigua to San Juan from where I'd fly to Bogata and that was delayed 4 hours.  Had we arrived at 12:15 P.M. as we were supposed to I would have had plenty of time to see the only sight in San Juan that had eluded me, "La Fortaleza," the oldest building continuously used as an executive mansion in the Western Hemisphere, since 1533.  Due to the very late arrival I didn't see it.  The other passengers at the Antigua Airport for the most part seemed more content than myself with the delay, nerdy types playing with their hand internet devices.  The people working in Security didn't seem to like what I was saying and the language that I used, that was the idea (at a 2 hour delay in Dominica, a guy was talking to the Security who screen you and your baggage in a similar way, he was sort of a light Black, the good Doctor said to me--They're little men who want you to bend and bow... At Antigua a guy told me that on the flight to there the bottle of fine rum that he checked in his luggage had been broken and that his clothes were soaked in rum and glass.  Due to the delay in Antigua, which is LIAT's hub so you'd think they could have gotten us a plane out of there more quickly, this guy was going to miss his connecting flight to Atlanta and have to stay in San Juan overnight thus missing a day of work, he was very happy with LIAT.

No comments: